To educate the public about Human Trafficking (HT) and to be the coalescing force in Sarasota County for the purpose of uniting and coordinating organizations, agencies and community resources to combat HT within the county and to serve as a mechanism for communication and strategic collaboration among the members of the coalition and the community.
- Increase awareness of human trafficking (also known as modern-day slavery) in Sarasota County among all populations in the county. This is a serious problem in our state and in our community. Florida is the number two state in the country for human trafficking problems.
- Educate Sarasota County about the hot line at the National Human Trafficking Resource Center :
- Bring interested parties and organizations together to build a task force that works effectively to spread the word about human trafficking in Sarasota County .
- Assess how information about human trafficking by residents and organizations is reported to and expedited by the authorities.
- To help local agencies understand the need to identify, track and prioritize this issue. Is the data collection standardized and coordinated between agencies? Is the data sufficient? What needs to change to expedite assistance to those trafficked?
- To work with DCF (Department of Children and Families) in Florida to help local residents recognize victims of human trafficking and to report it anonymously. Law enforcement works with agencies and individuals who report the victims; all information is confidential.
- Educate county legislators about the need to pass the proposed Florida State Commission on Human Trafficking (Sen. Joiner, Rep)
- Work with the Florida Human Trafficking Awareness coordinator